Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2017 09:41:58 +0800
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: interface down, console output: igb3: TX(7) desc avail = 41, pidx = 308

On 27 March 2017 at 15:35, Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com> wrote:

> Try turning TSO off.. i.e. ifconfig igb3 -tso or sysctl net.inet.tcp.tso=0
>
> The transition to iflib has exposed much jankiness in the Intel "shared
> code" of the e1000 drivers.  In particular, the locking contracts may not
> align with FreeBSD locking primitives.  I have boxes running the legacy
> driver that are clearly reliant on the watchdog reset for steady state
> which is unacceptable.  We are actively looking into this at LLNW, but
> additional reports and help are appreciated.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you, I
first had to wait for the problem to be repeated.

Indeed, running "ifconfig igb3 -tso" did fix the issue. It didn't seem to
the first time, but I may have been too quick to judge. After re-enabling
TSO and disabling it a second time, the problem stopped, and the interface
immediately came up.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to try and help diagnose
this. In the mean time, I have added net.inet.tcp.tso=0 to my
/etc/sysctl.conf, so I don't think this will re-occur unless I remove it.

Regards,
Ben

From: Benjamin Woods
woodsb02@gmail.com