Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2017 16:57:13 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Toolchain <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FYI: clang 4.0 vs. 3.9.1 system compiler for powerpc64 and powerpc: same problems for what I've looked at so far

So far a quick look at building and installing for TARGET_ARCH=3Dpowerpc64=

and TARGET_ARCH=3Dpowerpc based on -r314687 (so clang 4.0 based) =
indicates
the same basic status as for 3.9.1. (This is cross built from amd64.)

[I list the svnlite status and older file revision(s) involved for
/usr/src later.]

TARGET_ARCH=3Dpowerpc :

buildkernel completes but booting the kernel that it builds gets
/sbin/init failure with a Signal 13. Sometimes things hang and others
get a panic for misalignment. I use a kernel built with gcc 4.2.1
because of this.

The problem "R31 restored before floating point code cleanup code that
assumes R31 is not restored yet" still exists. This leads to bad address
usage in the cleanup code that involves floating point code. Things are
odd but I can boot with a buildworld that is from clang --but it
requires exiting an automatic single-user mode entry from an example of
the floating point code problem. One observes quickly programs that use
floating point internally that might not be obvious externally.

The C++ exception handling problems still exist.

TARGET_ARCH=3Dpowerpc64 :

The C++ exception handling problems still exist.

(The above need not be comprehensive lists of issues.)

/usr/src things I have locally different from -r314687 :

# svnlite status /usr/src/ | sort
?       /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC-DBG
?       /usr/src/sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC-NODBG
?       /usr/src/sys/arm/conf/BPIM3-DBG
?       /usr/src/sys/arm/conf/BPIM3-NODBG
?       /usr/src/sys/arm/conf/RPI2-DBG
?       /usr/src/sys/arm/conf/RPI2-NODBG
?       /usr/src/sys/arm64/conf/GENERIC-DBG
?       /usr/src/sys/arm64/conf/GENERIC-NODBG
?       /usr/src/sys/powerpc/conf/GENERIC64vtsc-DBG
?       /usr/src/sys/powerpc/conf/GENERIC64vtsc-NODBG
?       /usr/src/sys/powerpc/conf/GENERICvtsc-DBG
?       /usr/src/sys/powerpc/conf/GENERICvtsc-NODBG
M       /usr/src/bin/sh/jobs.c
M       /usr/src/bin/sh/miscbltin.c
M       /usr/src/contrib/llvm/tools/lld/ELF/Target.cpp
M       /usr/src/crypto/openssl/crypto/armcap.c
M       /usr/src/lib/csu/powerpc64/Makefile
M       /usr/src/libexec/rtld-elf/Makefile
M       /usr/src/sys/arm/arm/gic.c
M       /usr/src/sys/boot/ofw/Makefile.inc
M       /usr/src/sys/boot/powerpc/Makefile.inc
M       /usr/src/sys/boot/powerpc/kboot/Makefile
M       /usr/src/sys/boot/uboot/Makefile.inc
M       /usr/src/sys/conf/kmod.mk
M       /usr/src/sys/ddb/db_main.c
M       /usr/src/sys/ddb/db_script.c
M       /usr/src/sys/powerpc/ofw/ofw_machdep.c

# svnlite info sys/cam/scsi/scsi_pass.c | grep "Re[plv]"                 =
                                                                         =
                                                                         =
                                                      Relative URL: =
^/head/sys/cam/scsi/scsi_pass.c
Repository Root: svn://svn.freebsd.org/base
Repository UUID: ccf9f872-aa2e-dd11-9fc8-001c23d0bc1f
Revision: 314623
Last Changed Rev: 308451

Note: Both TARGET_ARCH's were tested on the same PowerMac G5
so-called "Quad Core". I currently do not have access to
any other powerpc family context.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net