Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2017 18:12:07 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Sid <sid@bsdmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-toolchain@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: suggestion for toolchain to have its own directories

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 5:21 PM, Sid <sid@bsdmail.com> wrote:

> How about going with a toolchain directory for the base system only. It
> would use shared files, and have subdirectories specific to clang, gcc, o=
> other compiling components or versions. This way it is both modular and
> organized.

And non-standard. Auxiliary tools that know about toolchains would need to
be modified. That's a losing fight.

> For instance: /usr/toolchain/bin/, /usr/toolchain/sbin/, and
> /usr/toolchain/lib/ can be used for shared files. /usr/toolchain/clang/,
> /usr/toolchain/gcc/, etc, and their (lib, sbin, bin, include)
> subdirectories can be used for specifically needed files. The old
> directories can be softlinked to there.

Old directories won't cut it.

> Any drastic changes can only be tried in the head branch. Port compilers
> should definitely be left alone, by not using /usr/local/toolchain/* at a=
ll.

Yea, I think this is a bad idea. There's no upside to it, other than
appealing to somebody's sense of what's organized. The downsides are plenty
and create a lot of work for us just to get back to where we are today.

Unless there's a truly compelling reason to do this, my vote, and loud
shouting voice, says don't do it.

Warner