Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 2018 16:38:31 -0800
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, Devin Teske <devin@shxd.cx>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Feedback on proposed loader changes

On Thursday, February 01, 2018 10:59:14 AM Warner Losh wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 9:58 AM, Devin Teske <devin@shxd.cx> wrote:
> > And as the principal author of the Forth menu since 9.0:
> >
> > 3. Please give me a way to run my code (at the very least until I c=
an
> > bring the Lua up to snuff; and if I can=E2=80=99t just let me run F=
orth
> > in-perpetuity).
> >
> > Interrupting boot1 so I can drive the system in the pre-boot Execut=
ion env
> > is very important to me.
>=20
>=20
> For !EFI, this is relatively easy. boot1 you can type /boot/loader_fo=
rth
> instead of the default /boot/loader if the symlink changes and you wa=
nt to
> go back.
>=20
> For EFI the answer is more complicated. boot1.efi is going away, so
> loader.efi will move to the ESP in \efi\freebsd\loader.efi, but it's =
easy
> enough to have multiple versions there (loader_lua.efi and
> loader_forth.efi) and select via EFI Shell or EFI Env variables which=
 one
> you want should you need to fall back.
>=20
> Does that answer your concerns?

I think there is an even easier route for doing scripted loader develop=
ment
now: Use bhyve with bhyveload.  You get to run the loader as a plain us=
erland
program (so you can use normal debuggers on it while it is running) whi=
le
being able to test all the menu features.  You can even make it use the=

builtin host: filesystem without requiring a disk image so you can modi=
fy the
lua files directly on the host that are getting pulled in for a fast
edit-debug cycle.

--=20
John Baldwin