Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2018 08:59:32 +0100
From:      Sid <sid@bsdmail.com>
To:        "Stari Karp" <starikarp@yandex.com>
Cc:        "Takanori Watanabe" <takawata@init-main.com>, freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bluetooth v4

> Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2018 at 4:17 AM
> Subject: Re: Bluetooth v4

> > > Hi, is all of it under https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.bin
> > > /bluetooth/? Does the one at github work for several Bluetooth
> > > versions? Thank you.
> >
> > Indeed, I did not touch there.
> >
> > There are
> >  https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/usr.sbin/bluetooth/
> > and
> > https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/netgraph/bluetooth/
> > also.

That's great!

> I think the last version is Bluetooth v5.

Because Bluetooth 4 dongles are now cheap, so that means easier distribution, collaboration and use. Bluetooth 5 is not mainstream yet, and many places still don't sell them. Bluetooth 4 would be a good starting point.

Bluetooth 5 is compatible from version 1.1 on. https://www.bluetooth.com/~/media/files/specification/bluetooth-5-faq.ashx?la=en

Actually, it would be good for reverse compatibility in a Bluetooth 4 and later 5 dongle driver to go down to version 1.2. 1.2 is perhaps more secure than 1.1. Then let the old driver remain separate to take care of 1.1. Low energy Bluetooth is for 4 and 5. Perhaps there can be two parts or two drivers (aside for the current one for 1.1): one for BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) for 4 and 5, and another for traditional data rates for reverse compatibility of Bluetooth 4 and 5 dongles to devices of previous versions.