Date:      Wed, 02 May 2018 09:11:21 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Joachim Mathes <mathes@punkt.de>, elastic@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with Elasticsearch 5 service script

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018, at 06:42, Joachim Mathes wrote:
> Hello Elastic-Team,
>
> we have problems with starting the elasticsearch service of package
> https://www.freshports.org/textproc/elasticsearch5/ (2018Q2).
> When we try to start elasticsearch the rc.d-script fails with:
>
> """
> Starting elasticsearch. Could not find any executable java binary.
> Please install java in your PATH or set JAVA_HOME
> """
>
> We fixed this issue by extending the PATH variable in
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/elasticsearch:
>
> """
> export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/openjdk8/bin
> """
>
> Can you reproduce this?

This was narrowed down to the user changing their root shell from csh to something else. It causes issues because /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/sbin are no longer in PATH.

Changing the root shell is strongly discouraged as many assumptions are made about which shell your root user has.

--
  Mark Felder
  ports-secteam & portmgr member