Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2017 11:46:29 +0300
From:      David Gessel <gessel@blackrosetech.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Error logging: KLD if_en.ko depends on atm - not avail or version mismatch

FreeBSD 10.3-RELEASE #0 r327345

I'm getting a lot of errors that read:

Dec 30 09:54:59 gamanjiru kernel: KLD if_en.ko: depends on atm - not available or version mismatch
Dec 30 09:54:59 gamanjiru kernel: linker_load_file: Unsupported file type

The source does not seem to be the jails, since stopping jails doesn't stop the error notifications. I've synced source, built world and kernel, installed both and yet the errors persist. I have a mildly customized kernel config, but I can't find any refrence to either if_en.ko nor "atm"

 kldstat -v | grep if
       237 if_lo
       104 if_ixgbe
       235 if_faith
       239 if_vlan
       236 if_gif
       238 if_tun

# kldload if_en.ko
kldload: an error occurred while loading the module. Please check dmesg(8) for more details.
(which are the errors above)

I'm really not sure what's calling if_en.ko (networking is working fine). Nor any idea why anything would ask for a "Midway-based ATM interface". There's no ATM hardware on the box.

if_en isn't referenced at all in /bootpool/boot/loader.confand /bootpool/boot/defaults/loader.conf shows

"if_en_load="NO"                 # Midway-based ATM interfaces"

I asked at https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/63915/#post-370896 and was advised

"You may be better asking on the freebsd-net mailing list. I know there's plans to remove ATM related stuff and the en driver was effected, but I don't think it should effect you."

The errors are being generated in the host as well as all jails running on the system.

Any leads very much appreciated.

-David