Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2018 01:16:13 +0100
From:      Johannes Lundberg <johalun0@gmail.com>
To:        blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com>
Cc:        Ali Abdallah <aliovx@gmail.com>, FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>,  Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, des@des.no, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, mmacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: drm / drm2 removal in 12
References:  <CAPrugNr9wN63ANjTYzyrHRegr9KTk_OSTLfrt%2BhktCnfKX=_mg@mail.gmail.com> <20180824215302.ivfna55jtrtc5trg@freebsd480.station> <CAPrugNqV6k2QTuiLerAKLB_hV1hkZNi4MLNqKU7MtVnMhMfPQw@mail.gmail.com> <CANCZdfp2rf=5e-qTV=-4yFrLPugn0UhtYovXdesJWbRWAjdGTg@mail.gmail.com> <CALM2mEmJVqfeERTL4AWw7cY3YfPUY6TFw==1hzBqsDJNDde_Uw@mail.gmail.com> <CAPrugNqsqQds6tBzeQcA%2B5tD4xh%2Bi1Fef2ta8Qjf5E6LTxPq4Q@mail.gmail.com> <CALM2mEmyjKD5vQexvHfeZK0Jud7HpGSn3RspBqFq49TzrfcwNg@mail.gmail.com> <86k1oepbdr.fsf@next.des.no> <CALM2mE=T_uEVPVi7J%2BjA-8c89T46%2B9X5wk1Xo5C8EfQmKap9yw@mail.gmail.com>

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 00:25 blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 2:08 AM Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav <des@des.no> wro=
te:

> > blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com> writes:
> > > True on both points my tone is just a reflection of attitudes of the
> > > individuals that I am currently addressing.
> >
> > Well, congratulations on alienating absolutely everybody you have
> > interacted with on this topic.
> >
> > > Some people enjoy making contributions w/o waving a banner constantly
> > > wanting acknowledgement, a pat on the head and good job from everyone=
.

> > The only person I see constantly craving attention and validation from
> > others here is you.
> >
> > > How far will core FreeBSD bend over backwards to accommodate these
> > > devs.
> >
> > The core team does not decide what goes into the tree or not.  The
> > developers do.
> >
> > > This is the beauty of an open source project, we bring the best to th=
> > > table, [...]
> >
> > Who exactly is =E2=80=9Cwe=E2=80=9D here?  You are not a member of the =
project, you do
> > not speak for the project, and after seeing how you treat our fellow
> > developers, our friends, most of us want nothing to do with you.  If
> > can't live with that, I'm sure you can figure out how to install Linux.
> >
> > DES
> > --
> > Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no
>

> Some on here want to attack my personality because they think that I am
> abrasive, fine but that's not the issue.
>
> Some claim that they run the code and it works wonderful for them with no
> issues, again that's lovely keep on running the code.
>
>  Nevertheless let me restate the point that you guys are all seeming to
> miss; If you can go out and build custom kernels with custom options and
> out of mainline tree that's fine, keep doing that until you have somethin=
> that's production ready and as easy to install as the rest of FreeBSD
> system.
>
> The graphics stack on FreeBSD is pretty bad as it stands but all the
> documentation currently out there is about using it as it stands now.
>
> Why do you need to rip out the current graphics drivers which will break
> systems for the vast majority of silent users who will not complain and
> just leave?
>
> ---- A little background ----
> Do you know why Samsung, Motorola, Sony, LG, Nokia, etc... never update
> their phones to the latest android version?
>
> It's because the Linux kernel is such a mess they know it's a waste of
> resources to try. You should not have to ask how or why I know this but i=
> it's unclear I was in the field.
> -----------------------------------
>
> Now you guys who claim to only be hobbyist doing this in their free time
> expect to maintain this when those companies with all their resources
> cannot?
>
> Those 30,000 ports many of them bring bugs with them because of this
> [...]

This has been discussed over and over on the mailing list and I don=E2=80=
=99t think
anyone wants to do it over again so please feel free to search the
archives.

You=E2=80=99re misinformed. We are not removing anything for anyone. We are=
 moving
it to ports.
=E2=80=9Cpkg install drm-legacy-kmod=E2=80=9D will install those drivers fo=
r you that were
earlier in base. I thought we have been clear about this but maybe we
haven=E2=80=99t been clear enough.