Date:      Tue, 16 Jan 2018 18:45:43 -0500
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org,  "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Migrating arm(v7) to LLD_BOOTSTRAP

With the update to Clang/LLVM/lld 6.0.0 I believe lld is nearly ready
to be used as the system linker for armv7, and I plan to enable
LLD_BOOTSTRAP by default after a couple of WIP patches land and after
a little more testing. This may happen a week or two from now. This
should have little impact on port builds, because /usr/bin/ld will
still be GNU ld.bfd (although there may be some unexpected fallout).

I expect to enable LLD_IS_LD by default a little later, and
/usr/bin/ld will then be lld. This is the same path we're taking with
amd64.

lld currently does not support architectures prior to armv7, and fails
with some combination of these errors when I try to use it for
arm{,v5,v6,eb}:

ld: error: lld uses blx instruction, no object with architecture
supporting feature detected.
ld: error: lld uses extended branch encoding, no object with
architecture supporting feature detected.
ld: error: lld may use movt/movw, no object with architecture
supporting feature detected.

I expect this will be addressed in a future version of lld.