Date:      Tue, 18 Dec 2018 14:49:43 +0000
From:      "Robert N. M. Watson" <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jack Halford <jack@gandi.net>
Cc:        trustedbsd-audit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new syscalls audit events

Hi Jack:

Excellent news on adding per-thread credential support. If you are =
looking for reviewers for the patch, do let me know.

Regarding the below:

On 14 Dec 2018, at 16:16, Jack Halford <jack@gandi.net> wrote:

> I'm currently writing a patch for 3 new syscalls for per-thread =
credentials, 2
> of these are auditable (setcred and revertcred, see [1]). The wiki =
page about
> adding auditing events says to contact you in case of need of a new =
BSM event.
> I'm prettu sure I've added my events in all the right place, however I =
can't see
> any of my syscalls in the auditpipe.
>=20
> So far I've done the following:
>=20
> 1) added relevant information in
> 	- contrib/openbsm/etc/audit_event
> 	- contrib/openbsm/sys/bsm/audit_kevents.h
> 	- sys/bsm/audit_kevents.h

These changes will need to be upstreamed to OpenBSM in GitHub. As there =
might be conflicting new events using the same numbers, do use the =
numbers assigned by OpenBSM rather than those that might appear most =
obvious in FreeBSD, as BSM is used across several operating systems, and =
we require consistent event-number assignment.

> 	- sys/kern/syscalls.master
> 	- sys/compat/freebsd32/syscalls.master

You will also need to modify sys/security/audit_bsm_klib.c to generate =
BSM records and encode arguments/return values/etc.

> 2) regenerate sysvector, build and install kernel and world
>=20
> 3) `make -C usb.sbin install` doesn't seems to install
> the new /etc/audit_event so I cp'd it by hand

I suspect that it is the libbsm target that installs the headers and =
config files for OpenBSM, rather than auditd.

Robert