Date:      Sat, 16 Feb 2019 18:02:11 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeCAD 0.17 && /lib//libgcc_s.so.1

Greetings,

Restarting the FreeCAD 0.17 discussion on a different tangent.

As I mentioned before I am building (for now) outside of the ports
tree FreeCAD-git + Coin-hg + QT5 + med-4.0.0.  I want to particularly
thank very much all the porting work that has been done so far, I
wouldn't have been able to get as far as I have without it.

french/med (french?) requires fortran, and for ports gfortran is
apparently the only option.  gfortran depends on libgcc_s.so.1, which
is FreeBSD's (only?) version of dll hell.

Transcribed output from the FreeCAD Testing Framework GUI test all:

First run of TestApp.All: Run: 212 Failures: 1 Errors: 20

which isn't bad at all I suspect.  However one of the failures is

/lib/libgcc_s.so.1 version GCC_4.8.0 required by
/usr/local/lib/gcc8/libgfortran.so.5 not found

This is probably fatal to practical use of FreeCAD on FreeBSD.  I was
able to open most of my previous models, created on debian-testing,
but some were fail.

2 threads, no happy ending:

https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2018-May/113336.html
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-python/2016-January/009672.html

Question to experienced porters, how is this best practice solved?

Thanks,
Russell