Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 2019 10:25:45 +0200
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Old Stuff

> On 24 Jul 2019, at 18:57, Robert Simmons <rsimmons0@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> I wonder if FreeBSD should drop support for 32bit? Clean out and =
remove all
> of it. It should make the code base easier to maintain, cleaner, and =
safer.

Keeping 32 and 64 bit code has an interesting side effect. It kinda =
forces to keep some discipline, same as
keeping big endian and little endian code. It can be a bit of a pain in =
the ass but it forces you to be more
careful.

> In this same vein, let's deprecate and remove things like telnet and =
ftp.

I don=E2=80=99t understand why. Both tools can be useful in certain =
situations. For instance telnet is the
most immediate way to check wether a service is working and a bunch of =
important Internet protocols
were actually designed so that they could be tested with a simple =
telnet.=20

=46rom a different point of view, ssh can be more prone to buffer =
overflows due to more complex code ;)

Borja.