Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2019 18:52:36 +0400
From:      Roman Bogorodskiy <novel@freebsd.org>
To:        Eric Bautsch <eric.bautsch@pobox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using virsh and virt-manager for XEN on FreeBSD

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj

  Eric Bautsch wrote:

> Hi All
>=20
> And one more:
>=20
> root@bianca # virsh -V
> Virsh command line tool of libvirt 4.10.0
> See web site at https://libvirt.org/
>=20
> Compiled with support for:
>   Hypervisors: VMware PHYP VirtualBox ESX Bhyve Test
>   Networking: Remote Network Bridging
>   Storage: Dir ZFS
>   Miscellaneous: Daemon Secrets Debug Readline
> root@bianca # virsh -c xen:///system
> error: failed to connect to the hypervisor
> error: no connection driver available for xen:///system
>=20
>=20
> Based on this output, I'm assuming that virsh (and virt-manager, too) was=
n't=20
> compiled with XEN support on FreeBSD.
>=20
>=20
> However, this page (from 2015):
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/libvirt-libxl-on-freebsd.51862/
>=20
>=20
> Would seem to suggest that it should work.
>=20
>=20
> Should I just stop trying and compile my own virsh and virt-manager?
>=20
>=20
> Sorry, this seems like a stupid question again.
>=20
> Eric

Hi Eric,

virsh comes from the devel/libvirt port (or respectful package). On
amd64, it has XEN option available which adds Xen support through libxl.
However, it's not enabled by default (therefore if you're installing
libvirt from an official repo, it won't be enabled), so you'll have to
build your own version with this option enabled.

IIRC, virt-manager supports Xen by default and does not need any
additional configuration.
>=20
>=20
> --=20
>  =20
>        ____
>       /          .                           Eric A. Bautsch
____
>    (_____/____(___(__________________/       email: eric.bautsch@pobox.com
>=20

Roman Bogorodskiy