Date:      Sat, 15 Aug 2020 21:34:17 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to build sysutils/edk2@rpi4 (for example) that matches https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/releases/tag/v1.18 (for example)

On 2020-Aug-10, at 23:44, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I noticed the sysutils/edk2 addition. So I've tried to figure
> out how to use it to reproduce the pftf RPi4 V1.18 release
> (as an example), by, say, adjusting the distinfo file to pick
> up the matching source.
>=20
> Looking at https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/releases/
> there is a 4dd0f24 listed for the most recent release
> (v1.18) that is a link to:
>=20
> =
https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/commit/4dd0f24d03cf73ed8e7bd29f88d8e86779410e=
69
>=20
> That in turn lists the release's changes for Submodules:
>=20
> edk2
> edk2-non-osi
> edk2-platforms
>=20
> that are references to the
> https://github.com/tianocore/ material.
>=20
> edk2 has an updated "222 files" link which takes one to
> a page that shows the commit history ending at
> aa211bb .
>=20
> edk2-non-osi has an updated "4 files" link which takes
> one to a page that shows the commit history ending at
> 4f88718 .
>=20
> edk2-platforms has an updated "55 files" link which takes
> one to a page that shows the commit history ending at
> b2eebc1 .
>=20
> These appear to be what to use to try to reproduce
> the V1.18 pftf RPi4 release based on
> https://github.com/tianocore/ materials.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Doing the same sort of thing for
> https://github.com/pftf/RPi3/releases/ there is a
> ab5895d listed for the most recent release (v1.29)
> that is a link to:
>=20
> =
https://github.com/pftf/RPi3/commit/ab5895ddee99b0dd9030ec052fd67b838116c3=
77
>=20
> Again the 3 Submodules are listed on the page that
> takes one to:
>=20
> edk2
> edk2-non-osi
> edk2-platforms
>=20
> Looking at each shows that they match the RPi4 example:
>=20
> edk2:           aa211bb
> edk2-non-osi:   4f88718
> edk2-platforms: b2eebc1
>=20
> (This may be normal when they release the pair together.)
>=20
>=20
> Unfortunately, I'm not aware of anything for macchiatobin
> that is analogous to https://github.com/pftf/RPi3 and
> https://github.com/pftf/RPi4 off which to derive what
> source would reproduce some known release that might
> have been put to use with FreeBSD (a tested combination).
>=20
>=20
> Also I found nothing referencing:
>=20
> openssl-openssl
> ucb-bar-berkeley-softfloat
> kkos-oniguruma
> google-brotli
>=20
> but I've not checked if these are only used for the
> macchiatobin flavor vs. being more widely used.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> It will be some time before I try to update from
> pftf RPi4 v1.17 to v1.18 via an adjusted sysutils/edk2
> built in poudriere. So I'm unsure if the above is
> sufficient or not.
>=20
> (Note: pftf RPi4 v1.18 in part was a work around for
> a problematical start4.elf / fixup4.dat update,
> reverting to "a version published before 2020.07.14"
> for the .elf and .dat returned to things working.
> bd816db is what broke them and 46e2c3e included
> the fix to them. The same applies to RPI3's v1.29,
> but for start.elf and fixup.dat instead.)
>=20
>=20
> I have access to a MACCHITObin Double Shot --but it is
> based on using a personal uefi/acpi build that I was
> given access to. I've no clue how to reproduce it
> from what source. I've no clue what would be good to
> build for @macchiatobin use. (It need not match what
> is good for the RPi3 and RPi4 as far as I can tell,
> although such might work currently(?).)
>=20

Looks like pftf/RPi4 gave up on getting edk2 to
follow the standard on something that have some
users dependent on older behavior later specified
to be incorrect behavior. (Backwards compatibility
won over forward standards conformance.) So there
is now (as part of v1.19):

QUOTE
	=E2=80=A2 This firmware was built from the official EDK2 =
repository, with =
0001-MdeModulePkg-UefiBootManagerLib-Signal-ReadyToBoot-o.patch applied =
to the edk2 submodule. If you need more information, please refer to =
that repository.
END QUOTE

https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/ has the patch listed.

v1.19 includes more than that.

But edk2-non-osi is as it was for v1.18 . That
points that that exploring a specific:

https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/commit/[OMITTED]

need not show all the relevant "what to use"
information for the 3 modules from:

https://github.com/tianocore/

I had not mentioned such issues previously.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went