Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 2020 17:35:31 +0200
From:      Riccardo Lombardi <ric.lombardi@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-cloud@freebsd.org
Subject:   EC2 AMI size of Freebsd 12 (and maybe a feature request)

Hi all and hi Colin,

First of all, thank you for all your efforts for making FreeBSD usable in
EC2 environments, and sorry for my english.

I'm mainly a hobby web developer, with limited (end-user) experience in
Unix systems.
I recently switched to FreeBSD for my web server and noticed that the
"out-of-the-box" FreeBSD 12 AMI in AWS uses a lot of disk space (3.8Gb
using the df -h command) in comparison with other Linux distributions,
which usually start with 1-1.5Gb disk space.
I also wanted to point out that the size of the FreeBSD 11 AMI is strangely
quite smaller (2.4G).
The largest directories I could find in FreeBSD 12 are:
/usr/lib/debug: 1.5G
/var/db/freebsd-update: 508M

My aim (and I suppose this could be useful for many developers and EC2
users) was originally to shrink the AMI size by eliminating things that are
not necessary in a production environment (maybe the kernel-debug tools).
Unfortunately I don't think i have enough knowledge to make my own custom
light AMI.

So, if this could be useful for the community, and I think so, it would be
very nice to see some of the following things / features:
- First of all check it there's some problem with the disk size of the
FreeBSD 12 (compared with the 11, maybe there are old unused libraries from
the update), and eventually publish a new, "clean", AMI
- OR/AND maybe implement a "lightweight" version of the FreeBSD AMI,
without some non essential components.
- Reduce the minimum EBS volume size from the current 10G to 8 or maybe 5
(accordingly with the final size of the new AMI)

Thanks and best regards.
Riccardo Lombardi