Date:      Sun, 10 May 2020 00:52:11 +0000
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        "freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   nfs-over-tls ready for testing

Hi,=0A=
=0A=
I think the nfs-over-tls project is now ready for testing by others.=0A=
(This uses a TLS session to encrypt/decrypt NFS RPCs on the wire.=0A=
 There is an internet draft called "Towards Remote Procedure=0A=
 Call Encryption By Default" which should soon become an RFC=0A=
 that describes what this implements.=0A=
=0A=
The biggest caveat is that the KERN_TLS does not yet support TLS1.3,=0A=
so the code currently uses TLS1.2, which is not allowed by the above=0A=
draft. I know jhb@ is working on TLS1.3 support, so this should get=0A=
resolved.=0A=
=0A=
There is a basic setup document here:=0A=
http://people.freebsd.org/~rmacklem/nfs-over-tls-setup.txt=0A=
(It can also be found on FreeBSD's subversion repository at=0A=
 base/projects/nfs-over-tls.)=0A=
=0A=
For now, the setup takes some fiddling, but that will get easier=0A=
as some of the code finds its way into head.=0A=
=0A=
I do hope that this can make it into FreeBSD13.=0A=
=0A=
Last, but not least, thanks go to jhb@ (and others, I'd guess?) for the KER=
N_TLS=0A=
work and for providing the ktls rx patch plus the patched openssl3=0A=
needed to make it work.=0A=
=0A=
Let me know how it goes if you test it, rick=0A=