Date:      Sat, 11 Jan 2020 22:05:58 -0800
From:      Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net>
To:        Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: open-vm-tools in base

--Zm4GutCI1Urslcpobs5YeavuxV3iruIzO
From: Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net>
To: Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org

--RY95IIogBW3ZfU44cOPibVZxmToci31Pj

(picking one email for reply)

On 1/10/20 12:56 PM, Josh Paetzel wrote:
>> And for pespective I run a lot of ESXi and FreeBSD guests... so any
>> bias I might have is in the wrong direction :-)
>>=20
>=20
> ...things would be a lot more convenient for people who run
> virtualized FreeBSD instances.  This would Just Work (TM) and who
> doesn't love changes that move us closer to a "Just Works out of the
> box" state?

I think the main concern is that it would be harder to deliver a fix or
update the code with FreeBSD Security Update procedure.  Fortunately
(but I might be biased as I only looked at the svn history of
open-vm-tools port), the code doesn't really change that often.

This is not unprecedented, by the way, we are already shipping HyperV
utilities.  It's probably worth exploring if it's possible to import a
stripped down version of the port that do not really change over time
but needs to integrate with the ABI/KBI tightly, though.

Cheers,