Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 2020 13:23:27 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        webmaster@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   http://www.freebsd.org search box broken again. Fix it.

http://www.freebsd.org has a search box, that's broken & often has been.
Try typing any one of
	ls
	camera
	kde
3 Empty pages !

Compare with direct use of the search engine freebsd.org fails to use:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=freebsd.org++ls&t=h_&ia=web
	The FreeBSD Project
	ls(1) [freebsd man page]

FreeBSD search box was OK decades back I recall, but broken often
since (in attempts for local based search I think?).  Let's throw
it out & revert to something simple & reliable that works.  If
tinkerers want we could also offer a 2nd button underneath for
support of fancy experimental local based search apt to break.

Please fix it to call the existing duckduck properly, or if you can't
call some other search engine, here's a list http://www.berklix.net/search/

FreeBSD will have lost a lot of interest over a long time, with our
search box so often broken, returning nothing or not enough useful.

An example of multiple search boxes on http://www.berklix.org/
Type in Jitsi & get
https://www.google.com/search?q=jitsi&domains=berklix.org&sitesearch=berklix.org&btnG=Search
I've never needed time to maintain it, it's simple & worked for decades.

Cheers
--
Julian Stacey, Consultant Systems Engineer, BSD Linux http://berklix.com/jhs/
http://www.berklix.org/corona/#masks	150 Euro fine or tie 2 handkerchiefs ?