Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 2020 15:37:10 +0300
From:      Andrey Ponomarenko <andrewponomarenko@yandex.ru>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   How it fits BSD?

Choosing hardware for BSD?

Recently I've implemented a new feature of the BSD hardware database [1] that allows you to check desired computer models for BSD compatibility. You need to find the computer model you are interested in in the Linux hardware database [2] first (it's large enough) and then follow new "How it fits BSD?" link at the bottom of the page. You'll get a list of devices on board and support statuses:

* Tested — We have a BSD probe [3] of this device and driver was found and active
* Supported — We have found driver implementation for the device in the kernel
* Likely not supported — We have NOT found driver implementation for the device in the kernel
* Not supported — We have a BSD probe of this device and driver was NOT found by the kernel
* Need to test — We have no info on the device

See example for DELL E6320 computer model on this page [4].

Search for drivers is performed using this list of supported device IDs generated for the FreeBSD kernel, kms-drm, drm-legacy and Nvidia proprietary drivers [5].

If you did not find the right computer model, then try again in the morning — 200-300 new computers are added to the database daily.

Thanks for your attention.

[1] https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/new-hardware-database-for-bsd-systems.75651/
[2] https://linux-hardware.org/?view=computers
[3] https://github.com/linuxhw/hw-probe/blob/master/INSTALL.BSD.md