Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 2020 10:52:58 +0100 (BST)
From:      "D.Fox" <unspam@crystalforest.tf>
To:        freebsd-hardware <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Dell R630 - With X2Apic enabled BSD fails boot

Server 1
Processor: E5-2650L V3
RAM: 192GB
No Raidcard installed
BIOS: UEFI Mode
Firmware: all up to date
Version tried: FreeBSD 12.1 / FreeBSD 13 / FreeBSD 11.4
Server 2
Processor:  E5-2660 v3
RAM: 96GB
No Raidcard installed
BIOS: UEFI Mode
Firmware: all up to date
Version tried: FreeBSD 12.1 / FreeBSD 13 / FreeBSD 11.4
Issue:
It appears that when X2Apic is enabled within BIOS, FreeBSD hangs when probing the USB controller.
I have tried four different variants.

HardenedBSD - Hangs on usb
OpenBSD - Just fall out crashes
NetBSD - Kills the server iDRAC
FreeBSD - ahcich timeout on slot xx
OmniOS which gives the error:  No SOF interrupts have been received this usb ehci hostcontroller is unusable

And all fail to boot with X2APIC enabled.
I have tried the following tunables:
kern.cam.boot_delay="10000"
vfs.root_mount_always_wait=1
hw.usb.xhci.use_polling=1

But no cigar. Linux distribution works without problem, booting in to Debian 10 Stretch with no issues.
I have raised a bug report and posted on the FreeBSD posts.

The workaround for now is to turn off X2APIC, but you will loose HyperThreading capabilities or use a *nix distro which I am trying to avoid.
Any help with this would be great.
Cheers