Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 2020 15:05:52 -0700
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>, java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: testing different Java dependency?

The environment variable you're probably looking for is
JAVA_PREFERRED_PORTS.  Whether that has the effect you want will also
depend on what the port allows in terms of Java versions.  E.g. if a
port has JAVA_VERSION=11 then it is signalling that will only use a JDK
of that version, no matter what you set as your preference.

Also, as the previous reply implied, how that effects individual ports
at run time isn't consistent.

-- Greg