Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 2020 19:10:00 +0700
From:      Victor Sudakov <vas@sibptus.ru>
To:        freebsd-sysinstall@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network installation on a UEFI-only box

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT

Dear Colleagues,

Now that there are many PCs with UEFI-only BIOSes (no legacy mode nor
CSM), how can I install FreeBSD over network on those?

I successfully boot iPXE from the network, then load FreeBSD
installation media over http:

dhcp
sanboot http://192.168.170.5/tftpboot/FreeBSD-12.2-RELEASE-amd64-mini-memst=
ick.img

or=20

dhcp
sanboot http://192.168.170.5/tftpboot/FreeBSD-12.2-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.i=
so

Good news: both images get transferred successfully over the network and
start to boot. They even reach the "Loading kernel..." stage.

Bad news: later they freeze or break at various points of the boot process.

This is just one example of a frozen boot:
http://admin.sibptus.ru/~vas/IMG_20201221_190435.jpg
if I press "Enter" here, it reboots.

If anybody is interested I can probably produce more info. But first of
all, please tell me if I have chosen the right technology (iPXE) for
booting the installation media over the network, or maybe what I'm
doing is stupid and there *is* the right way.

--=20
Victor Sudakov,  VAS4-RIPE, VAS47-RIPN
2:5005/49@fidonet http://vas.tomsk.ru/

--tKW2IUtsqtDRztdT