Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2020 11:27:06 -0800
From:      Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        freebsd-pf <freebsd-pf@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Why was pf(4) castorated?

OK I just updated our of our servers, and upon boot
I was greeted with a failure to start message from
pf(4)=2E :(
Seems that in an effort to prevent people whom are
unfamiliar with pf from shooting themselves in the foot=2E
A new oid (restriction) was added:
net=2Epf=2Erequest_maxcount
and worse; was given an arbitrarily low threshold: 65535
I can say from years of relying on pf, that I have little
to no difficulty loading the some 45=2E7 million addresses
in our block tables=2E The majority of those IPs are in but
two of the tables, and can do so on a server with only 4Gb
RAM=2E We have never encountered any freeze/crash upon startup
for loading the tables=2E The (low resource) server I'm referring
to also provides web && mail services to some 60 domains=2E
While I grant you I *should* have read the entry in UPDATING,
I think that given the server in question was bombarded as
a result of being unable to load the tables=2E Which IMHO is just
as bad, if not worse than having the system wallow from being
overloaded during table loading=2E
How can I remove this/ese added restrictions to pf(4)?

Thank you for all your time, and consideration=2E

--Chris