Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 2020 19:50:11 +0000
From:      kaycee gb <kisscoolandthegangbang@hotmail.fr>
To:        "freebsd-pf@freebsd.org" <freebsd-pf@freebsd.org>
Subject:   usage of rdr and pass validation

Hi,

First, sorry english is not my native language. I will try to be as precise=
 as
possible.=20

And also I am not sure it is only pf related. Let me know in this case plea=
se.
Maybe it would be for net an jail too.=20

So, I have two cases maybe related.=20

First one is for using rdr translation rule.=20
I have a host with FreeBSD 11.3 amd64 hosting some jails. I want to join
one service from the outside. Using one rdr rule like this one, all seems t=
work fine. I have acces to the service.

> rdr pass on $ext_if inet proto tcp from any to $ext_if port 443      ->
> $j_one port 443=20

But in case I want to apply some options to this, I have to split it in 3. =
This
is the relevant part of my config that makes it work=20

> # Emulate skip on lo0
> pass            quick   on lo0                  from 127.0.0.1  to
> 127.0.0.1
> # jail internal  comms
> pass            quick   on lo0                  from $j_one     to $j_one
>=20
># other traffic ( do not know yet why it is necessary and why no interface
>specified in mandatory )
> pass    in      quick           proto tcp from any to $j_one port 443
>
> # block all on lo0
> block   log     quick   on lo0
>
> rdr on $ext_if inet proto tcp from any to $ext_if port 443      ->
> $j_one port 443
> pass    in      quick   on $ext_if proto tcp from any to $j_one port 443

See the two lines at the end which are the first two parts. The third part =
is
the line after the "other traffic comment". After a lot of error and retry,
this line have to be wrote like that. I can not add "on lo0" on this line o=
r the
service is not reachable.=20

I'm using jails since some time now and remember having jail traffic bound =
lo0 before even in my configuration jails have another interface defined (a
bridge generally).=20

So I would like to know why isn't it possible to limit more this rule ? I
tried all other interfaces present in my system, and that do not work eithe=
r.
Using tcpdump, I can't see the traffic related to this service on any
interface except the external one. It's a little bit strange for me.=20

Finally, I will write another mail for the other case.=20

kaycee,