Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 2020 18:12:08 +0000
From:      Rene Ladan <rene@freebsd.org>
To:        "Danilo G. Baio" <dbaio@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Hans Drexler <drexler@gate.klaan.nl>, freebsd-translators@freebsd.org, remko@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: introduction of new subscriber Hans Drexler

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 03:09:27PM +0000, Rene Ladan wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 10:51:40PM -0300, Danilo G. Baio wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 04:36:28PM +0100, Hans Drexler wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > My name is Hans Drexler. I joined the translators list today.
> > > I live in the Netherlands and I have used every FreeBSD version since version 2.1.
> > > My knowledge of BSD is broad, but shallow. Still, I would like to contribute a tiny bit
> > > by translating documentation into my native language, Dutch.
> > > I don't know if a Dutch language team exists. If not, maybe we can start one.
> > >
> > > If I can be of any help, please let me know.

[...]
> > Welcome and thanks for your interest.
> >
> > CCing remko@ and rene@, maintainers for Dutch translations.
> >
> > FreeBSD has a Dutch translation team [1], there are some documents
> > translated and they need to be updated, maybe not all of them, at least
> > the Handbook, last commit was three years ago.
> >
> > Current documents [2]:
[...]

> >   books/
> >     - fdp-primer  (nl_NL.po)
Hmm, it looks like I have some ancient cryptic diff of the FDP primer stashed
locally when reading through some svn->git instructions. I'll try to figure
out if that is still useful.

> > The good news is that some documents have PO Gettext files, so you can
> > upload the current translations to Weblate, then update them.
> >
> I actually have to exercise this myself. I started out years ago translating
> SGML documents by hand, then XML documents, and finally offline PO documents
> (using poedit if I remember correctly).
>
> > In the next days I'll enable a jenkins job to build the Weblate
> > translations for nl_NL.

It looks like the /translations branch in svn is no longer in use, the last
commit to it was r48760 on 2015-12-14. It was meant as a work-in-progress
branch for translations, is this now fully covered by Weblate instead?

> > Regards.
> >
> > 1 - https://www.freebsd.org/docproj/translations.html#dutch
> >     https://www.freebsd.org/doc/nl/
> >
> > 2 - https://svnweb.freebsd.org/doc/head/nl_NL.ISO8859-1/articles/