Date:      Sun, 09 Aug 2020 15:37:58 +0000
From:      "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net>
To:        freebsd-wireless <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: regdomain.xml [was also: - Linux wireless-regdb]

Hi,

I’ll just join in on the last email in the thread not replying to
anything specific.

Having gone through some of the stuff lately myself in order to put [1]
out (which is also includes a few things to discuss) I’ll try to
summarise a few things I’ve learnt and thought of, which confused me
over the time:

- SKU - what does it actually stand for?   Does it really belong into
our regdomain?

- why are the freqbands prefixes with “H”, “F”, .. and what do
these magic letters stand for?

- We have netbands, freqbands, and bands.  None of these are actually
describing the actual frequency ranges (as the linux-db does).

- The freqbands seems to start and end on the center frequency of the
first/last chansep spaced channel.  In the old days that was less
confusing I guess as to now with 4x20 for VHT80.

- I am still unclear as to where we should map channels to frequency
because we are half-hearted doing that partially for upper and lower
bounds of freqbands currently.  As such I have different freqbands for
VHT20 vs. VHT40/80/160 as there are cases where there is an extra 20
channel not part of 80s.

- I’d love to have the freqbands actually describe the frequency
limits and have the mappings of channels within them elsewhere;  I have
no idea how/where Linux is doing that.

- I’d love to have general freqbands and groups of them independent of
the netbands.

- I do not actually understand what netbands are for given we have the
IEEE80211_CHAN_ set appropriately.   It’s for simplicity later but
there is a lot of duplication.  That said, some of these
IEEE80211_CHAN_* flags do not actually belong to the regulatory limits
either but are an 802.11 channel description.

- This all leads to confusion currently as to how we setup
bands/channels/..  I made a mistake by accident and the list of
combinations we checked in ifconfig exploded to 350.000 for whether a
channel was valid.  Clearly told me that the organisation does not seem
to be right.

- I was wondering if for clarity we can break up regdomain.xml into
multiple files?

- One thing I don’t like on the Linux version is that for, say ETSI,
the information is basically copied per EU member state.  I love our
reference model there.  I don’t mind having etsi, etsi1, etsi2 if I
can then say 20 countries it’s etsi2 and be done.   I think that is
something essential and good we have.

- I do like our more structured format a lot more than the Linux one.

- We are lacking a few things, DFS and INDOORS and maxpower are not the
only things which matter these days.  You may notice “wmmrule=ETSI”
in the Linux reg-db, for example.

- I wonder if what we actually want is a multi-layer thingy inheriting
one from another or if we want a pure-regdomain (not knowing about
channels) and more logic elsewhere which deals with putting WiFi things
into that)?

- I think it’ll need a bit more than simply restructuring
regdomain.xml;  I think doing it will probably also need a bit more (a)
documentation on what each bit means and tries to accomplish) and (b) a
more clear separation between frequencies and restrictions and 802.11
channels and with that a bit more downward code changes.

- I would really love to see some of these things sorted and I’d love
if the thread would stay alive.

Just my 5cts,
Bjoern

[1] https://reviews.freebsd.org/D25999