Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2020 10:10:05 +0100
From:      Roger Pau =?utf-8?B?TW9ubsOp?= <roger.pau@citrix.com>
To:        Brian Buhrow <buhrow@nfbcal.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-xen@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Slow networking speeds with Freebsd 12.0 and Xen-4.12.1, freebsd-12.0 as dom0

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 10:15:48AM -0800, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> 	hello.  Ok.  Perhaps I spoke too soon!  the domu I was testing with,
> which is an entirely pv guest, performs fine with FreeBSD.  However, if I
> take an hvm guest and run that using Intel E1000 emulation, my performance
> drops back to 70 mbits/sec or so of throughput.  For HVM guests, what kind
> of network performance should I expect?

That's hard to tell. My recommendation would be to try to install PV
drivers to HVM guests if possible in order to get better performance.
Performance of emulated nics is always going to be worse.

Is the QEMU process in dom0 consuming lots of CPU when using the
emulated nic?

> I've been running pv guests for
> years, but don't have much experience with hvm guests.
> -thanks

Guests using PV devices (that applies to HVM/PVH guests also) should
always get better IO performance than those using emulated devices.

Thanks, Roger.