Date:      Sun, 19 Jul 2020 14:21:33 +0300
From:      Amit Yaron <amit@phpandmore.net>
To:        trustedbsd-discuss@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgraded xorg-server and the Mouse and Keyboard Stopped Working?

I upgraded xorg-server to version 1.20.8_2,1 today not from an active X
session. and the keyboard and mouse stopped working.
(Dealing with the monitor was easier: just upgrade xf86-video-vesa or
xf86-video-scfb).
Even after upgrading xf86-input-mouse and xf86-input-keyboard, they
didn't work.
So, I checked the log file '/var/log/Xorg.0.log', and found there the
following text:

[  4546.466] (EE) config/devd: error 1 adding device /dev/uhid0
[  4546.466] (II) config/devd: EVDEV_SUPPORT is enabled, ignoring device
ukbd0
[  4546.466] (II) config/devd: EVDEV_SUPPORT is enabled, ignoring device
ums0

Ducked the message about "ums0" from my Lynx browser, and found that
there is an "evdev" (event device) driver, and it was not installed on
my machine. Searched it with 'pkg search evdev", and found that the
relevant package/port name is 'xf86-input-evdev' (path to port:
'/usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev').
Installed it. Now, the keyboard and mouse work.
  I think that installing the driver should be a part of
installing/upgrading 'xorg', or at least a line about the driver should
be added to the handbook.