Date:      Mon, 28 Dec 2020 10:32:01 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        "Montgomery-Smith, Stephen" <stephen@missouri.edu>
Cc:        "ctm-users@freebsd.org" <ctm-users@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Warning of interuption to CTM update service:

"Montgomery-Smith, Stephen" wrote:
> On 12/23/20 8:46 PM, Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > WARNING: This message has originated from an External Source. This may be a phishing expedition that can result in unauthorized access to our IT System. Please use proper judgment and caution when opening attachments, clicking links, or responding to this email.
> >
> > Hi, Reference:
> >> From:		"Montgomery-Smith, Stephen" <stephen@missouri.edu>
> >> Date:		Mon, 21 Dec 2020 20:56:00 +0000

> >> As maintainer of CTM, I don't intend to keep up maintenance from
> >> subversion to git.  The number of users of CTM is small, and I don't
> >> think it is worth the manpower.
> >>
> >> Obviously if someone else wishes to take over, they are most welcome.
> >> I'm willing to answer questions and help out some.
> >>
> >> Stephen
> >
> > Thanks for all your past work Stephen!
> > I believe in the push model of CTM, great for everyone with
> > intermittent, slow, or expensive when mobile net access etc.  (eg
> > dark side of the moon ;-), or laptop on trains, offices behind other
> > companies firewalls etc)
> >
> > I would do more, beyond hosting & mail lists, what's stopped me
> > before is A) you ran it fine B) opacity: similarity of crontab
> > script names do-A do-B do-C & multiplicity of enormous trees. A
> > guide would be useful. I'm not clear which if all the trees on the
> > server are used by your scripts or if some tree are ones I created
> > & could prune.
> >
> > Can I put your crontab & scripts up read only under http://ctm.berklix.org
> > along with 1 or more du lists, as 1st stage to me & others understanding
> > with your advice how it works, before we try modifying svn commands
> > to git.  I would omit secret generator keys to avoid later spoofing
> > of the feed ?
> >
> > Others helping would be welcome, especially re. git commands, nice
> > if conversion work & knowledge is shared.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >

> All the code I wrote on berklix is totally open source as far as I am
> concerned.  Post it as you like.

Thanks Stephen,
ctm.berklix.org/~sms/ has 111 Gig.  Could you delete junk please ?
Then it'll be easier to explore.

ctm.berklix.org/usr/ftp has 50 Gig
23 Gig /pub/FreeBSD/development/CTM
		Archives for public ftp download

Which do you use of:
 11.8 Gig /pub/FreeBSD/development/FreeBSD-SVN
		created & updated by ~jhs crontab &
		http://www.berklix.org/~jhs/bin/.sh/svnsync.sh
		Contains:	base/ doc/ ports/ socsvn/
 6.6 Gig ~sms/library/ctm/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-SVN
		Contains: base/ doc/ ports/		# no socsvn

BTW A tool for pruning part duplicate trees, leaving non identical files:
 http://www.berklix.org/~jhs/src/bsd/jhs/bin/public/cmpd/
 cd tree-to-prune ; find . -type f -exec /usr/local/bin/cmpd -d {} \
	 /rooted-path/reference-tree \;

Cheers,
--
Julian Stacey  http://berklix.com/jhs/