Date:      Mon, 25 Oct 2021 02:40:05 +0000
From:      Chris Stephan <chris.stephan@live.com>
To:        Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: linux compat: namespaces and cgroups

> From: Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>=0A=
>=0A=
> One thing that might be useful to folks who might work on the FreeBSD=0A=
> kernel side is to build up a collection of small programs that=0A=
> demonstrate these syscalls and interfaces.=0A=
=0A=
Agreed. In my spare time I can use this as a research op to get a little mo=
re=0A=
into the guts of how these toolsets are both leveraged today in various =0A=
projects and what usecases would be most beneficial to the FreeBSD=0A=
community. Without a functioning kernel interface in place I'm assuming=0A=
we would be testing against a vm of centos. I noticed the linuxulator will=
=0A=
be compatible with linux 4.4.0 in 14-CURRENT. Would that be a good=0A=
target to write against?=0A=
=0A=
> To some extent I think we=0A=
> can separate functionality from priority/limit controls.=0A=
> Demonstrations for setns, unshare, and clone would be interesting.=0A=
=0A=
Agreed.=0A=
=0A=
> Several of us have had an interest in this for some time, but I am not=0A=
> aware of any existing significant work. We've spoken about starting a=0A=
> regular call for these topics in the near future, and I'll follow up=0A=
> when ready to move forward.=0A=
=0A=
I appreciate that. Looking forward to those topics. Hopefully, not too=0A=
soon so maybe I will have had enough time to research to provide=0A=
some solid contributions to the conversation.=0A=
=0A=
So catch me if I missed something, but it sounds like prior the=0A=
following two tasks could be worked on in parallel:=0A=
=0A=
1. Find and document examples from how these functions are =0A=
leveraged today and consolidate them to simple compilable source.=0A=
=0A=
2. Generate user-land utilities that can either mock or mimic the =0A=
behavior of setns, unshare, and clone on FreeBSD. =0A=
=0A=
Cheers.=0A=
=0A=
=0A=