Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 2021 10:33:15 +0300
From:      Volodymyr Kostyrko <arcade@b1t.name>
To:        net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   net.add_addr_allfibs - alternative usecases

Hello.

First of all, I came here not to agitate for any change, I want to
understand how my configuration is inefficient and how I can do that better.

I have two outgoing interfaces, if0 and if0. Those are different
internet providers, I even get ipv6 through second one, and that's nice.
I want to automatically fallback to the interface that is working in
case of outage. Also, I want some traffic only on one of those
interfaces. So I got 3 fibs:

fib 0: default route
fib 1: default route is if0
fib 2: default route is if1

Fibs 1-2 are used for traffic that should only pass through exactly that
interface. Traffic pinning is done with PF:

pass out on $outside2 inet from ($outside2) queue(in_std2, in_priv2)
modulate state rtable 2

For example, I can test connectivity to both sides via:

setfib 1 ping -qc 5 8.8.8.8
setfib 2 ping -qc 5 8.8.8.8

And in case one of them doesn't work I can switch to other one by
changing routing on fib 0.

Everything seems to work fine with net.add_addr_allfibs enabled. But
once it was disabled I started wondering whether I'm using the right
tools to solve my problem, or this can be done easier. Disabling
net.add_addr_allfibs means that only assigned interface will provide
default route for correspondent fib, and you can't manually add them to
the other fib. Or maybe I got that part totally wrong?

Thanks in advance, any bit of knowledge would be appreciated.

--
Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow.