Date:      Mon, 5 Jul 2021 14:15:10 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
Subject:   ZFS + mysql appears to be killing my SSD's

I hve a netwkr of FreeBSD machines which are running mysql on top of
zfs. I have been doing this for a while, but a couple of years ago we
switched to using SSD. After less than a year (I dont remember the exact
timings), they all strated to fail. We assumed a bad batch, and had them
replaced, and didnt think anything more of it.

A week or so, all the replacements started to fail. This was shortly
after I upgraded to FreeBSD 13 and OpenZFS, but I think this is
unrelated, however its one major chnage which happened before the most
recent round of failures.

The thing is though, that I am not seieng any heavy activity on the
drives. The load is sustained, but well below the lifetime write
thresh-hold for the drive. I also do not see the drives a being heavily
in use when I run gstat. So its perplexing. I am assuming its related to
the mysql load, as this is identical across all machines, and they are
all dying within a few days of each other.

Any insights would be appreciated... :-)

-pete.