Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2023 11:22:50 +0200
From:      Trenton Schulz <trueos@norwegianrockcat.com>
To:        accessibility@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: High Contrast Installer

On Wed, 2023-04-26 at 20:44 +0000, Pau Amma wrote:
> On 2023-04-22 14:07, Alfonso Sabato Siciliano wrote:
> > The wiki page "Base system accessibility wishlist" [0] has "Check
> > the
> > installer text and background colors provide enough contrast
> > (including=20
> > as
> > shades of grey) and or offer options to change them.".
> >=20
> > bsddialog provides already a black and white theme.
> > Default theme:
> > $ bsddialog --yesno "Default Theme" 0 0
> > Black and White theme:
> > $ bsddialog --theme blackwhite --yesno "Black and White Theme" 0 0
>=20
> A useful resource for contrast requirements is=20
> https://webaim.org/articles/contrast/. (Its focus is on webpages, but
> it=20
> stands to reason that the minimum requirements and the example
> contrasts=20
> are applicable to all uses of text.) To check what contrast a color
> pair=20
> (foreground/background) gives users,=20
> https://webaim.org/resources/contrastchecker/=C2=A0is an option. (I just=
=20
> added these two to https://wiki.freebsd.org/Accessibility/Resources.)
>=20

I'll second. Pau's reference is very good for checking color contrast
(I use webaim's contrast checker often since it is so readily
available). Often a "quick and dirty" check can be to "print" the
screen in grayscale and see how easy it is to read.

I have no idea how much fidelity one gets in picking colors for
terminal applications, but it's probably a good idea to have the
default theme pass at least the AA contrast (4.5:1 or better) and have
the black and white theme as a high-contrast option (since that will
give you the maximum ratio og 21:1).

I might have some time this weekend to do a quick look through
bsddialog and test things out...

Best regards,

--=20
Trenton