Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 2023 20:41:42 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   An idea for swap partition size vs. swap space size in use handling

I have boot media that are each set up to boot a variety
of systems that have widely different RAM sizes, from
1 GiBytes to 64 GiBytes for the aarch64 examples of this.

This has lead to having multiple swap partitions of
various sizes so that I can have total swap spaces that
are somewhat under the recommended maximum sizes for the
amount of RAM in each of those systems that a given media
can boot.

It would be nice if I could have just one swap partition
on a given boot media, one that is more than sufficient
in size for all but the biggest RAM system --but to then
be able to tell the system to just use up to the
recommended swap space size and to ignore any extra swap
space in the swap partition.

If such could be done, I'd no longer use multiple swap
partitions at the same time in order to get to a desired
total for the system at hand at the time.

Of course, that still leaves what to do when multiple
swap partitions are enabled if such a "ignore what
would be extra" mode was also enabled. As I'd not use
such, I've no specific recommendations to make that
would make any difference to my use.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com