Date:      Wed, 07 Dec 2022 21:48:29 +0800
From:      Philip Paeps <philip@freebsd.org>
To:        Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
Cc:        ftpadm@freebsd.org, hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Missing hostmaster@au.freebsd.org [was: Fwd: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender]

On 2022-12-07 21:42:57 (+0800), Ian Smith wrote:
> Hi, hope this one reaches a human ...

You've reached me ... I'm human ... but of course I would say that! :-)

> The hostmaster@au.freebsd.org address comes from Appendix A of the
> Handbook:
> https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/mirrors/#mirrors
> Something has come unstuck ...

I'll see if I can figure out who's responsible for that zone these days.

> I was asking about when 12.4 ISOs might arrive at ftp3.au.freebsd.org?

Unsure.  Community mirrors are not under our control.  If it never
catches up, we should remove it from the list of mirrors.  I'll try to
get in touch with the last known contact though.  If they're still
interested in running it, it should catch up.

> I need to use ftp to get dvd1 via a slow and intermittent 3G phone
> connection, and I have a reliable client (AndFTP).
>
> Of course I can use ftp.freebsd.org but thought using the mirror might
> help spread the load.
>
> I don't mind waiting a few days, but thought I'd better check ftp3.au
> is going to mirror 12.4, not yet anyway.

Don't hesitate to use ftp.freebsd.org.  You should hit our local mirror
hosted by IX Australia in Sydney.  It has plenty of bandwidth to serve
your bits.  If you find yourself hitting another mirror, outside
Australia, please let us know so we can fix the GeoDNS.

Best wishes.

Philip [hat: clusteradm human]

--
Philip Paeps