Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2023 12:16:53 +0200
From:      Hubert Tournier <hubert.tournier@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-python@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   45 vulnerable ports unreported in VuXML

--0000000000007856be05f7caeda6

Hello,

While working on pipinfo <https://github.com/HubTou/pipinfo>, an
alternative Python packages management tool, I noticed that some Python
packages installed as FreeBSD ports where marked as vulnerable by the Python
Packaging Authority
<https://warehouse.pypa.io/api-reference/json.html#known-vulnerabilities>;
but not in FreeBSD VuXML <https://www.vuxml.org/freebsd/index.html>; ports
security database.

So I made a pysec2vuxml <https://github.com/HubTou/pysec2vuxml>; tool to
check the 4.000+ FreeBSD ports for Python packages and found 45 of them
vulnerable and unreported
<https://github.com/HubTou/pysec2vuxml/blob/main/results.txt>.

I started producing new VuXML entries
<https://github.com/HubTou/pysec2vuxml/blob/main/vuxml_newentries.txt>; for
these vulnerable ports. *Please tell me if it's worth pursuing this effort?*

In order to verify if these vulnerable ports where also marked as
vulnerable in FreeBSD VuXML, I made a Python VuXML handling library and got
carried away writing a whole utility, vuxml
<https://github.com/HubTou/vuxml>, to demonstrate its use. This could be of
general interest to some of you?

Best regards,

PS: this approach could be extended to Rust crates, Ruby gems and so on
with the vulnerabilities described in the OSV <https://osv.dev/>...

--0000000000007856be05f7caeda6

, an alternative Python packages management tool, I noticed that some Pytho=
n packages installed as FreeBSD ports
where marked as vulnerable by the <a href=3D"https://warehouse.pypa.io/api-=
reference/json.html#known-vulnerabilities" target=3D"_blank">Python Packagi=
ng Authority</a> but not in <a href=3D"https://www.vuxml.org/freebsd/index.=
html" rel=3D"nofollow" target=3D"_blank">FreeBSD VuXML</a> ports security d=
atabase.
c2vuxml" target=3D"_blank">pysec2vuxml</a> tool to check the 4.000+ FreeBSD=
 ports for Python packages and found <a href=3D"https://github.com/HubTou/p=
ysec2vuxml/blob/main/results.txt" target=3D"_blank">45 of them vulnerable a=
nd unreported</a>.</p>
b/main/vuxml_newentries.txt" target=3D"_blank">new VuXML entries</a> for th=
ese vulnerable ports. <b>Please tell me if it&#39;s worth pursuing this eff=
s where also marked as vulnerable in FreeBSD VuXML,
made a Python VuXML handling library

and got carried away writing a whole utility, <a href=3D"https://github.com=
/HubTou/vuxml" target=3D"_blank">vuxml</a>, to demonstrate its use. This co=
p>PS: this approach could be extended to Rust crates, Ruby gems and so on w=
ith the vulnerabilities described in the <a href=3D"https://osv.dev/" targe=

--0000000000007856be05f7caeda6--