Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2023 21:48:48 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Client Certificate Verification

--Apple-Mail=_5596B919-8FAC-4DAE-AF9F-2DC03E09B3E6

I have an application to which clients connect using a browser over SSL. =
 I have a LetsEncrypt certificate for the app that lets the client =
authenticate the app.  However, I need to have a multitude of client =
certificates (one per client machine).  I am generating these =
certificates from a self-signed root certificate.  I can get the client =
to verify the app and provide the client certificate to it.  The app is =
unable to verify the client certificate.  I have not been able to figure =
out how to have openssl distribute one certificate (from LetsEncrytp), =
but verify the received client certificate using different certificate =
chain.  Openssl will pass me some of the received certificate fields.  =
However, without certificate verification I cannot be sure that those =
values came from a certificate I generated.  Is there a way to do this =
either with openssl or libtls?

-- Doug

--Apple-Mail=_5596B919-8FAC-4DAE-AF9F-2DC03E09B3E6

charset=3Dus-ascii"></head><body style=3D"overflow-wrap: break-word; =
-webkit-nbsp-mode: space; line-break: after-white-space;">I have an =
application to which clients connect using a browser over SSL. &nbsp;I =
have a LetsEncrypt certificate for the app that lets the client =
authenticate the app. &nbsp;However, I need to have a multitude of =
client certificates (one per client machine). &nbsp;I am generating =
these certificates from a self-signed root certificate. &nbsp;I can get =
the client to verify the app and provide the client certificate to it. =
&nbsp;The app is unable to verify the client certificate. &nbsp;I have =
not been able to figure out how to have openssl distribute one =
certificate (from LetsEncrytp), but verify the received client =
certificate using different certificate chain. &nbsp;Openssl will pass =
me some of the received certificate fields. &nbsp;However, without =
certificate verification I cannot be sure that those values came from a =
certificate I generated. &nbsp;Is there a way to do this either with =

--Apple-Mail=_5596B919-8FAC-4DAE-AF9F-2DC03E09B3E6--