Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2002 18:52:54 +0000
From:      "C KH" <dubbified@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't connect to DNS servers -- Firewall prob?

I have 2 computers on a network -- one freebsd 4.7 and one slackware linux.

The slackware linux box is able to connect to the DNS servers no problem, so
I know it's not a problem with my ISP.

My FreeBSD 4.7 box is unable to contact either primary or secondary
nameservers.

I have explicitly added these rules to my /etc/rc.firewall:

        $fwcmd add allow udp from 66.135.144.2 53 to $oip
        $fwcmd add allow udp from 66.135.128.68 53 to $oip
        $fwcmd add allow tcp from 66.135.144.2 53 to $oip
        $fwcmd add allow tcp from 66.135.128.68 53 to $oip

(where $oip is my external IP address).

Another possibly related thing is that on bootup, my server hangs
indefinitely as the initializing "hostname" part.  I need to hard break it
with CTRL+C to continue bootup.

Any ideas? I don't know how to tell if this is a larger problem with my
server configuration or somethign to do with a firewall rule.  Suggestions
appreciated.