Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2023 20:45:58 +0200
From:      Tomek CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        yuri@freebsd.org, teodorsigaev@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   cad/BambuStudio misc/OpenVDB cad/PrusaSlicer OpenEXR 3.x + Imath

Hello World :-)

I am porting BambuStudio a 3D Print software to FreeBSD [1]. It uses
PrusaSlicer library as backend. This depends on OpenVDB that yet
depends on the OpenEXR.

Changes in OpenEXR 3.x obsoletes IlmBase and puts some components of
OpenEXR 2.x + IlmBase to OpenEXR 3.x + Imath [2]. This blocks build of
BambuStudio as upstream of OpenVDB [3] and PrusaSlicer [4] still
depends on IlmBase and requires update to OpenEXR 3.x + Imath.

I can see that our Ports already have OpenEXR 3 and Imath. But I am
not familiar with internals of OpenVDB, OpenEXR, and PrusaSlicer. I
have already reported problem to the upstreams [1][3][4]. The best
sutiation would be to patch the upstreams. So far I can see that ports
use local patches (lots of them for PrusaSlicer).

I am planning to provide port specific patches to the upstream as an
example to enable out-of-the-box build on FreeBSD. PrusaSlicer library
is a submodule of BambuStudio and will require flawless unpatched
build.

If anyone is interested in updating OpenVDB and PrusaSlicer upstream
to build on FreeBSD or have comments on what (not) to do here then any
hints are welcome :-)

Thank you for your time :-)
Tomek

[1] https://github.com/bambulab/BambuStudio/issues/2606