Date:      Wed, 12 Jan 2000 13:26:36 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: finding src for 3.1-RELEASE

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 06:46:13PM +0000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> Nic Drew wrote:
>
> > I wish to reinstall part of a 3.1-RELEASE from source (based on
> > advice given here)...but am unable to find src for this release on the
> > ftp mirrors....they only seem to go back as far as 3.2 within the 3.x
> > strain. Could someone let me know how I get hold of 3.1 source.
>
> You can get the source for any version using anoncvs or cvsup. Try
>
> $ cvs -d anoncvs@anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:/cvs co -rRELENG_3_1_0_RELEASE \
> 	src/...
>
> <fx: tries it>. It seems that doesn't work any more <sigh>.

Yup, it doesn't work.  I was surprised to notice this fact last night,
when I was trying to check out the doc/ tree.  Seems that
anoncvs.freebsd.org does not allow me to connect for a checkout.

Apart form using CVSup to fetch the sources in the form produced by

    % cvs -d anoncvs@anoncvs.freebsd.org:/cvs export doc

does any good soul out there know how I can use anoncvs to selectively
check out part of the sources?  What I want to do is to mirror part of
the CVS repository.

My supfiel contained:

    * default release=cvs tag=.

Perhaps, I should have used it without tag=. in order to get the files
from a checkout and not an export of the CVS repository?

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"What we have to learn to do, we learn by doing." [Aristotle]