Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2001 17:58:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Ardelean Gheorghe <ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Install problems with FreeBSD on Alpha Server 2100, 5/250

Ardelean Gheorghe writes:
 > I am wating for help and instructions how we can proceed because I'd like
 > to have FreeBSD on the server.

I'm sorry, but given that I'm moving Thursday & spending all my time
packing, I won't be in a position to give you very much help for well
over a week, probably more like two.

One thing that would be immensely helpful would be for you to find out
exactly where things are crashing.

Please build a BOOTMFS kernel with debuging symbols on your AS200 (I
seem to remember you saying you had one) and try to boot it on the
2100.  To do this, run src/release/scripts/dokern.sh on GENERIC and
call the resulting config file BOOTMFS.  Configure BOOTMFS with '-g'.
After the kernel is built, strip it, compress it, and replace the
kernel on the boot floppy with it.

After it crashes, run gdb kernel.debug in the BOOTMFS compile
directory.  Then say 'l *' followed by the crashing PC and crashing
RA.  Eg:

(gdb) l *0xfffffc00005495d0 And tell me w

 > Should I also try with True 64?

It might be a valuable datapoint.

Drew