Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 2002 10:33:51 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Style(9) question

On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 02:23:53AM +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 10:45 PM -0800 2002/11/22, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> > That means that they are limited to holding in their head only the
> > maximum amount of data that can be displayed on a screen at a time,
> > so the more non-whitespace data you can display in a limited amount
> > of real-estate, the better.
>
> 	I know I cut off the smiley.  I know.
>
> 	On the serious side, this isn't a bad argument.  I don't think
> it's as good as "we follow the standard because it is the standard",
> but it's not bad.
>
> 	However, I would observe that screens are getting larger, windows
> should be getting larger, and you should be able to have more stuff
> on screen at once.  Indeed, I would argue that perhaps the problem is
> that there is too much stuff on screen at once, and that this has
> been a problem for some time.

Oh this is true, true, true !

> 	In music, the silences are just as important, if not more
> important, than the notes.  In print publications, proper use of
> white space is just as important as the writing.
>
> 	I submit that in coding, less dense spaces caused by things like
> braces can help improve the overall readability of the program, and
> thus the probability of being able to more correctly maintain it.

Yup, I agree, within limits.

> 	Or do you really want single-line programs that comprise tens of
> thousands of kilobytes (or megabytes) of memory?  After all, if the
> goal is to cram everything together onto the smallest number of lines
> possible, we can just remove all whitespace everywhere.

I worked with a programmer who did just this, He had written his own
editor that just cut lines at about column 78, and he wrote program code
in a continous succession of such lines, cramming as many statements as
possible into the line. Whitespace .. pah !
It was a nightmare fixing his programs when we upgraded the O/S and had
to change some things. He refused to do it...(unfortunately he was in a
position to get away with this).

Oddly enough his programs had never been found to have bugs in them, I
mean *never*. The trouble was that he was the only person who could read them.

--

Regards
   Cliff Sarginson