Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2018 20:09:28 +0200
From:      Michael Osipov <1983-01-06@gmx.net>
To:        lev@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why do I need JDK on my router?

Am 2018-06-18 um 15:26 schrieb Lev Serebryakov:
> On 15.06.2018 23:43, Michael Osipov wrote:
>
>> took a quick look at snappy-java. Unfortnately, this is not pure Java,
>> but a JNI wrapper around a C++ implementation. I assume that the port
>> maintainer wanted to replace with a locally compiled version for FreeBSD
>> only. The default JAR is 64 bit only for Intel.
>    Yes, it is right. It explain, why `snappy-java' needs *JDK* for
> *build*. It doesn't explain, why does it need *JDK* for *run*

It doesn't, but I consider it as a shortcoming in the Makefile.

>> Moreover, looking at the debian package, this software is pure crap:
>   All your points about unifi5 are valid, but it is only software to
> manage one of the best APs on the market.
>
>   Only Cisco hardware is better, but it almost ten times more expensive.

Sadly, yes. I was evaluating Ubiquiti, but that software scared me off.
Devices w/o any Web interface is just too risky. Some other AP vendors
have similiar software. I am sure that there is some crappy Asian OEM
producing this junk and Ubiquiti et al. are buying it.