Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 2021 15:21:50 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Micha=C5=82_G=C3=B3rny?= <mgorny@gentoo.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hang while trying to boot armv7 on qemu-system-arm

Hi,

I'm currently working on improving LLDB support for FreeBSD.  As part
of that, I would like to do some testing on all platforms that are
supported by LLDB on FreeBSD.  I've been trying to boot armv7 via qemu
following the recipe on wiki [1] but without success.

I've been trying the armv7 images from FTP, 12.2 in GENERICSD and RPI2
variants, and 12.1 in GENERICSD variant.  In all cases, the system
seemed to hang at 'spinner'.  While qemu used 100% of one of the CPU
threads, nothing new was output for a few minutes (FWICS FreeBSD's CI
sets a timeout of 60 seconds), so I suppose it actually hanged.

The last screen of output I got is:

```
/boot/kernel/kernel text=0x8b757c data=0xa4d90 data=0x0+0x1f4000
syms=[0x4+0xa42d0+0x4+0x106515]
can't find '/boot/entropy'
/boot/kernel/umodem.ko text=0x1520 text=0xf10 data=0x234+0x4
syms=[0x4+0xe70+0x4+0xa74]
/boot/kernel/ucom.ko text=0x1714 text=0x2c6c data=0x3c4+0x838
syms=[0x4+0x13e0+0x4+0xbac]
can't find '/etc/hostid'

Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [/boot/kernel/kernel]...
Using DTB provided by EFI at 0x47dfd000.
Kernel entry at 0x57e00180...
Kernel args: (null)

```

Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?  Or have any recent
successes booting FreeBSD on qemu-system-arm?

Alternatively, would someone with real hardware or working VM be able to
offer me shell access for a few days?  I only need to transfer my cross-
built LLDB, run one unit test and test a bit of debugging on a trivial
program, so I won't use many resources.

[1] https://wiki.freebsd.org/QemuRecipes#armv7
[2] http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/arm/armv7/ISO-IMAGES/

--