Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 09:41:17 +0200
From:      Michael Schuster - TSC SunOS Germany <michael.schuster@germany.sun.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Swap overcommit (was Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2))

Hi everyone,

I've been following this discussion almost from the beginning, and I
have the feeling that we're not _really_ getting very far. There's good
arguments for and against overcommit, depending on your point of view
and your requirements.

What I do see is a not-so-openly voiced consent that the way
resource(sp?) shortages are handled in an overcommitting system
(SIGKILL) makes some of us rather unhappy. I therefore suggest those of
us who would like to see a change in this area pool their efforts and
energies to work on a mechanism that handles resource shortage in a more
graceful way.

cheerio
Michael
--