Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 1995 15:12:49 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: httpd as part of the system.

> > > I don't really recognize the distinction between a standard component
> > > and a port...
> >
> > Huh. Well *I* sure do!  It's the difference between being able to *count*
> >
> The point is that "component" implies piecemeal installation anyway.
>
> For instance, the kernel rebuild dist is a "component".
>
> Componenting itself implies optional installation of the piece.

Ok, point well taken.  I guess it's more of an ass-saving issue then
though since we can always enjoin users who haven't loaded some
component that they should do so when or if they complain about
missing functionality.  For some reason, the ports collection is still
preceived by many as not "plug and play" enough and people don't react
well to suggestions that they failed to load some port or another in
response to a complaint.

For example, I've had tons of complaints about gmake or bash not being
"part of the system", even though both are trivially available as both
ports and packages.  Conversely, I've not received *one* complaint
from someone who's man command didn't work because they failed to load
the mandist.  It may be a minor line in the sand from a technical
viewpoint, but it seems to be a pretty major one to the users.

Perhaps once the ports and packages are more obviously pointed out
in the installation process, this problem will become less manifest,
but I hesitate to rely on it.

						Jordan