Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 11:31:14 +1100 (EST)
From:      Tony Maher <Tony.Maher@eBioinformatics.com>
To:        bryan@freebsd.lunch.org
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: neomagic 256av audio

Hello,

> is anyone else working on adding audio support for
> the neomagic 256av chipset yet?

To current or stable?
I have Dell Inspiron 3500 with neomagic 256av audio working under stable.

> this is all very new to me.. but i have lots of time
> and a definite need to listen to mp3s on my laptop...
> so if i can get a foothold, i'll try to get it done.

I have mpg123 running ok.

Only caveat, If I suspend then mpg123 wont work on resumption, it appears
that the buffers still have some data in them. (get a repeated loop of sound).
Also see tsleep messages.

When using modem I get "/kernel: How strange... mss_intr iwith no reason!"
but everything continues to work (I mam not using the audio).

I rarely (almost never) use the audio thus haven't bothered to chase it any
further.

> i've read luigi's paper on the new audio driver
> (http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/sound.html)
> any other recommendations to help me get up to speed?

Most of the problem is avoiding clashing interupts (and finding a free one!)

I sent this to someone else who asked about how to get it running
(I never heard back so I dont know if they were successful or not)

tonym

This is the relevant config details:

Kernel:

controller pnp0
device pcm0 at isa? port ? tty irq 7 drq 0 flags 0x11

Dell PhoenixBio 4.0:
System devices:

    Serial port        Customised   # probably could go back to auto
                       [3F8 irq4]   # I just like to see what things are

    Infrared port      Off
    parallel port      Off          # I need the interrrupt for sound

    Audio              Customised
      SB IO address    280
      WSS IO add       530
      AdLib IO add     388
      Interrupt        7
      1st DMA channel  0
      2nd DMA channel  1

I run pccardd with 2 cards permanently inserted

Slot 0 DE660
Slot 1 Psion Gold Card Modem

#pccard.conf

# Generally available IO ports
io      0x240-0x360
# Generally available IRQs (Built-in sound-card owners remove 5)
irq     5 10 11 13 15
# Available memory slots
memory  0xd4000  96k

card "D-Link" "DE-660"
        config 0x20 "ed0" ? 0x10
        insert /etc/pccard_ether ed0 link0 -link1
        remove /sbin/ifconfig ed0 delete

# Random modem bundled with Dell systems
card "Psion Dacom" "Gold Card Global 56K+Fax"
        config  0x23 "sio3" 9                      ### not the default ###
        insert  echo "Psion Dacom modem card inserted"
        remove  echo "Psion Dacom modem card removed"

"pccardc dumpcis" showed that the DE660 only worked on irq 5
and
"pccardc rdmap" showed that it used I/O address 0x240
(which could be cos pccard.conf said io can be in this range)

So I changed the Audio bios to not clash with this.

Maybe the entries could be tied down further but I just got everything
working last nite (the sound that is, everything else was running within
a couple of days of getting machine)

dmesg:
... try to identify the yamaha
pcm0 at 0x530 irq 7 drq 0 flags 0xa211 on isa
mss_attach <mss>0 at 0x530 irq 7 dma 0:1 flags 0xa211
Card inserted, slot 0
Card inserted, slot 1
ed0: address 00:80:c8:8f:29:aa, type NE2000 (16 bit)
sio3: type 16550A

Hope it helps.