Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 11:59:00 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@freebsddiary.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
Subject:   Re: two copies of bind or two name servers?

On 4 Jan 00, at 9:34, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> The new bind is a royal pain in the behind to get this type of configuration
> setup on, here's how I do it:
>
> options {
>         directory "/etc/namedb/foo";
>         pid-file "/var/run/named.foo.pid";
>         listen-on { 10.0.0.5; }; query-source address 10.0.0.5 ;
> 	transfer-source 10.0.0.5;
>         check-names master warn;
> };
>
> controls {
>         unix "/var/run/ndc-foo" perm 0600 owner 0 group 0;
> };
>
> make sure to substitute all instances of 'foo' and the IP with
> the interface/name you'll be running your other copy of bind on.
> particularly in the 'controls' section.
>
> yes it was hard to find and yes it brought down my name service
> few times before i got it right.  (don't forget to have a little
> scripty to swap back and forth from your new to old config in case
> something goes wrong).
>
> i'm pretty sure the reason why the second instance is failing to
> come up is the conflict for the 'ndc' listen port.

I thank you for your help.  I had a sudden thought: The reason for the
problem was forwarders.  However I don't fully understand why.

I was running both named as forwarders.  Once I took this out:

        forwarders {
                 ip.ns1.my.isp;                  ip.ns2.my.isp;
        };

Both instances started up just fine.  But then I started getting this:

refused query on non-query socket from [127.0.0.1].1839

So I added localhost this to my options:

	listen-on port 53 {192.168.0.20; 127.0.0.1;};

For what it's worth, everything seemed to work fine without

	query-source address 10.0.0.5 ;
	transfer-source 10.0.0.5;

once I removed the forwarders.

I'm still wondering about the "controls" section you recommened.  I can't
find any documentation on it and can't figure out what it is for:

	controls {
	        unix "/var/run/ndc-foo" perm 0600 owner 0 group 0;
	};

However, I think I still prefer two different machines for this.  ndc doesn't
work [at all if not at least very well] under the two instances approach.  I
may try the two name server approach and evaluate that.

cheers.
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited [I'm looking for more work]
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.freebsddiary.org/freebsd/