Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 1996 17:23:34 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        steve@news.netdtw.com (Steve Corso)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.1 Fixit disk PROBLEM

As Steve Corso wrote:

> Now, I ping the "other" host, and much to my disappointment ping tells me
> that it cannot ping because ICMP is an "unknown protocol".

Yup, i've also stumpled across this.  The fixit should really get a
copy of /etc/protocols and a reasonable subset of /etc/services.  I've
always typed in the 3-liner files by hand. :)

> Charging right ahead, I decide to put a copy of /etc/protocols and
> /etc/services on the fixit disk.
>
> This does not help.

Well, the fixit floppy ain't mounted on /, it's mounted on /mnt1.
So you still need to

ln -s /mnt1/etc/protocols /etc
ln -s /mnt1/etc/services /etc

Alas, this is not pertinent across reboots, since the root f/s is a
memory file system.

--
cheers, J"org