Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:28:19 -0500
From:      Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        brunner@nic-naa.net
Subject:   Getting started as an ISP

Oki all,

A few weeks ago I sent a note asking for help getting started running out
of my basement. Two people were kind enough to reply, and I've cleverly
(not!) lost their mail.

My situation has changed slightly. Originally I'd a set of iXsystems 1300
boxen running -STABLE and -CURRENT, and nothing else, all in my basement.
Now I've more resources -- the assets of a failed ISP.

I'd like to know what other small- to medium-sized ISPs consider the core
set of service to provide dial-up service. The functional set of boxes,
from dns to radius to ...

I'll be happy to summarize, and provide archives, if no one has already
done this. As some of the assets I now have are Sun boxen (new circa 1999),
if the phrase "solaris 2.{6,7,8,9}" brings any failures-or-features to mind
I'd appreciate that also.

I'll be co-loing my original set of -STABLE boxen as an ISP and ICANN
accredited registrar (yup, got my chit) in the same facilities, so all
of my prior implicit "how do I" questions remain.

Thanks in advance,
Eric